Tata Steel announces the winners of its Campus-Connect competition ‘TomorrowLAB’
Mumbai, April 06, 2023
~ TomorrowLAB aims to promote entrepreneurial DNA amongst students and provide support in generating breakthrough innovation ideas ~
~ ‘Steel the Show’ team from IIM Shillong declared winner of the B-Plan Contest ~
~ ‘KHEL’ team from NID, Madhya Pradesh declared winner of the Design contest ~
Tata Steel announced the winners of its first-ever TomorrowLAB competition for B-school, design school, and engineering school students. The competition aims to proliferate entrepreneurial DNA for the future of India and provide support in generating breakthrough consumer-led innovation ideas.
The competition had two tracks: the B-plan contest and the Design contest. The B-plan contest had three broad themes: innovation for smarter living, innovation for the bottom of the pyramid, and innovation for a better way of life with some focus areas such as: Waste to Wealth, Last Mile Solutions, Sustainable Packaging, Smart City Solutions etc. This competition is driven by the Innovent department of the Company which works towards fostering a culture of innovation across the organisation. Under this department, the business concepts are developed after thorough market research and successful pilots are subsequently taken up for scale.
‘Steel the Show’ team from IIM Shillong emerged as the winner of the B-Plan contest while ‘KHEL’ team from NID, Madhya Pradesh bagged the top slot in the Design contest.
Dr. Debashish Bhattacharjee, Vice President, Technology & New Materials Business, Tata Steel, said: “TomorrowLAB is a unique opportunity for students to innovate, build their entrepreneurship skills and gain valuable experience. We believe this platform will help us identify and nurture the next generation of talent to create solutions of tomorrow. Congratulations to the winners as well as the participants who presented some truly innovative ideas that will help shape the future of India.”
Chanakya Chaudhary, Vice President, Corporate Services, Tata Steel, said: “We are thrilled with the overwhelming response and innovative ideas showcased by the participants in TomorrowLAB. This competition reflects our commitment to fostering a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship, and we are confident that these young minds will continue to drive India’s growth story. Congratulations to all the winners and participants for their outstanding efforts.”
This edition of TomorrowLAB saw a total of 4,095 team registrations and the participation of 12,280 students. The B-plan contest had three rounds and out of all the submissions received, 21 teams were shortlisted and mentored by Tata Steel Innovent team members. Six ideas were selected for the national grand finale, and the top two ideas received cash awards of Rs 1 lakh and Rs 50,000, respectively, along with certificates and mementos. The Design contest had two rounds, and the top four ideas were presented to the jury. The top two ideas received cash awards of Rs 50,000 and Rs 25,000, respectively, along with certificates and mementos. All top 25 teams received certificates and mementos from Tata Steel.
The competition underlines Tata Steel’s thrust on innovation and entrepreneurial DNA to meet future Indian market demands and strengthens the Company’s overall positioning and idea pipeline. It has also opened up new avenues for innovation.
Statements in this press release describing the Company’s performance may be “forward looking statements” within the meaning of applicable securities laws and regulations. Actual results may differ materially from those directly or indirectly expressed, inferred or implied. Important factors that could make a difference to the Company’s operations include, among others, economic conditions affecting demand/ supply and price conditions in the domestic and overseas markets in which the Company operates, changes in or due to the environment, Government regulations, laws, statutes, judicial pronouncements and/ or other incidental factors.
For queries and information
Sarvesh Kumar, Chief Corporate Communications, Tata Steel, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Tata Steel
- Tata Steel group is among the top global steel companies with an annual crude steel capacity of 35 million tonnes per annum
- It is one of the world’s most geographically diversified steel producers, with operations and commercial presence across the world
- The group recorded a consolidated turnover of US$32.83 billion in the financial year ending March 31, 2022
- A Great Place to Work-CertifiedTM organisation, Tata Steel Limited, together with its subsidiaries, associates, and joint ventures, is spread across five continents with an employee base of over 65,000
- Tata Steel has announced its major sustainability objectives including Net Zero Carbon by 2045, Net Zero Water consumption by 2030, improving Ambient Air Quality and No Net loss in Biodiversity by 2030.
- The Company has been on a multi-year digital-enabled business transformation journey intending to be the leader in ‘Digital Steel making by 2025’. The Company has received the World Economic Forum’s Global Lighthouse recognition for its Jamshedpur, Kalinganagar and IJmuiden Plants.
- Tata Steel aspires to have 25% diverse workforce by 2025. The Company has been recognised with the World Economic Forum’s Global Diversity Equity & Inclusion Lighthouse 2023
- The Company has been a part of the DJSI Emerging Markets Index since 2012 and has been consistently ranked amongst top 10 steel companies in the DJSI Corporate Sustainability Assessment since 2016
- Tata Steel’s Jamshedpur Plant is India’s first site to receive ResponsibleSteelTM Certification
- Received Prime Minister’s Trophy for the best performing integrated steel plant for 2016-17, Steel Sustainability Champion recognition from worldsteel for five years in a row, and ‘Most Ethical Company’ award 2021 from Ethisphere Institute
- Recognised with 2022 ERM Global Award of Distinction, ‘Masters of Risk’ – Metals & Mining Sector recognition at The India Risk Management Awards for the sixth consecutive year, and Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting FY20 from ICAI, among several others
Photographs: Management and Plant facilities
Logos: Files and usage guidelines
Website: www.tatasteel.com and www.wealsomaketomorrow.com