MEMPHIS, Tenn., August 28, 2023 – FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) today announced that five drivers representing the global transportation company were recognized with top honors at the 2023 National Truck Driving Championships and National Step Van Driving Championships (NTDC/NSVDC).
The competition, which took place Aug. 16-19 in Columbus, Ohio, is hosted each year by the American Trucking Associations and has a long history dating back to 1937, when it was known as the National Truck “Roadeo.”
Drivers who won their respective classes include:
- David Coffel (Phoenix, Ariz.) won the Straight Truck National Championship in his third appearance at the NTDC. A FedEx Express team member for 14 years, including 11 as a driver, David has logged more than 600,000 miles without ever having an accident.
- John Greene (Goshen, Conn.) won the 5-Axle National Championship. A professional driver for 32 years and the 2015 Connecticut Rookie of the Year, John has accumulated more than 1.45 million safe-driving miles during his career. He has been a FedEx Freight team member in New Haven, Conn., for 13 years.
- JC de la Cruz (Anchorage, Ak.) won the Step Van National Championship. This was the third-straight NSVDC appearance for JC, who finished third at the championships in 2022. A FedEx Express team member for more than 22 years, JC has spent the better part of 18 years behind the wheel as a courier and has logged more than 290,000 safe-driving miles.
- Robert Fair (Sanbornton, N.H.) won the Twins National Championship. Robert, this year’s New Hampshire Grand Champion, has logged more than 2.3 million safe-driving miles during his 24 years as a professional driver. He is a member of the FedEx Freight team in Belmont, N.H.
- Roland Bolduc (East Longmeadow, Mass.) won the Sleeper Berth National Championship. This year marked the 18th NTDC appearance for Roland, who earned the National Grand Champion award in 2017 and 2022. Based in Windsor, Conn., Roland has worked for FedEx Express for more than 29 years and has accumulated more than 2.6 million miles without an accident during his 39-year professional driving career.
FedEx has established a reputation for excellence at the NTDC. This year, FedEx had the privilege of sending a total of 156 drivers from across the country to the NTDC. With five national titles won in 2023, FedEx drivers have now earned 71 National Champion, seven National Grand Champion, and 10 National Rookie of the Year titles in the past 19 years.
In addition to five national champions, nine drivers were top finishers in their respective driving class at this year’s championships:
- Adam Heim, FedEx Freight (Rathdrum, Idaho), 3rd Place, 4-Axle
- Alex Lofgren, FedEx Express (St. Paul, Minn.), 3rd Place, Step Van
- Bill Colantuone, FedEx Express (Raynham, Mass.), 2nd Place, Straight Truck
- Greg Long, FedEx Express (Frederick, Md.), 2nd Place, Step Van
- Jamie Sowder, FedEx Freight (Toone, Tenn.), 3rd Place, Flatbed
- Jim Kohr, FedEx Express (North Chili, N.Y.), 3rd Place, Straight Truck
- Ritch Fundell, FedEx Freight (Tonica, Ill.), 3rd Place, 3-Axle
- Todd Flippin, FedEx Freight (Lamar, Colo.), 3rd Place, Twins
- Tyler Rogers, FedEx Freight (Fruita, Colo.), 3rd Place, Sleeper Berth
Four drivers from FedEx received the Highest Score on the Written Exam:
- David Comings, FedEx Freight (Wahpeton, N.D.), 4-Axle
- David Mogler, FedEx Freight (Brighton, Colo.), Tank Truck
- Mike Bills, FedEx Express (Fuquay-Varina, N.C.), Straight Truck
- Todd Flippin, FedEx Freight (Lamar, Colo.), Twins
A driver representing FedEx received the Vehicle Condition Award for the best pre-trip inspection:
- Tim Blair, FedEx Freight (Alcoa, Tenn.), 5-Axle
Also, three drivers from FedEx were members of Connecticut’s Team Champions:
- John Greene, FedEx Freight (Goshen, Conn.), 5-Axle
- John Sanchez, FedEx Express (Windsor Locks, Conn.), Step Van
- Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express (East Longmeadow, Mass.), Sleeper Berth
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenue of $90 billion, the company offers integrated business solutions through operating companies competing collectively, operating collaboratively and innovating digitally as one FedEx. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its 530,000 employees to remain focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. FedEx is committed to connecting people and possibilities around the world responsibly and resourcefully, with a goal to achieve carbon-neutral operations by 2040. To learn more, please visit fedex.com/about.