MUMBAI, October 11, 2023: Tata Consultancy Services (BSE: 532540, NSE: TCS) reported its consolidated financial results according to Ind AS and IFRS, for the quarter ending September 30, 2023.
Highlights of the Quarter Ended September 30, 2023
- Revenue at $7.210 billion, +4.8% YoY
- Constant Currency revenue growth: +2.8% YoY
- Operating Margin at 24.3%; an expansion of 0.3% YoY
- Net Income at $1.37 billion, +5.6% YoY | Net Margin at 19%
- Net Cash from Operations at $1.427 billion ie 104.2% of Net Income
- Diverse and inclusive workplace: Women in the workforce: 35.8% | 152 Nationalities
- Investing in the workforce: 26.4 million learning hours | 2.6 million competencies YTD
- LTM IT Services attrition rate at 14.9%
- Dividend per share: ₹9.00 | Record date 19/10/2023 | Payment date 07/11/2023
K Krithivasan, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, said: “Our clients continue to entrust us with critical new technology initiatives, and large programs to digitally transform their IT and business operating models. Strong deal momentum delivered us a very large order book in Q2 – our second highest TCV ever in a quarter, and good pipeline. The resilience of demand for our services, our clients’ willingness to commit to long tenure programs and their continued appetite for experimentation with Gen AI and other new technologies give us confidence in our longer-term growth prospects.”
N Ganapathy Subramaniam, Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director, said: “We continue to make investments in our people and new technologies. We now have a 100,000-strong pool of Gen-AI Ready consultants and prompt-engineers who are engaged in hundreds of Gen-AI projects for our clients across segments.”
He further added: “During the quarter, BSNL awarded us the project to integrate and deploy a modern, indigenous pan-India 4G and 5G mobile network. This is a huge milestone for TCS, and we have commenced the supply, planning, design, installation and commissioning, and optimization of this mobile network, satisfying a detailed set of requirements conforming to 3GPP standards and the roll-out will be completed in about 18 months.”
Samir Seksaria, Chief Financial Officer, said: “Our focus on improving employee utilization, while driving productivity improvement and cost efficiency across the organization, has helped us expand our operating margin to 24.3%. We will continue to push the growth, efficiency, and innovation levers to further improve our profitability. In keeping with our shareholder friendly capital allocation policy, the Board has recommended a share buyback to the tune of $2,047 Million at $49.96 per share.”
Milind Lakkad, Chief HR Officer, said: “Our strategy of proactively hiring bright freshers and investing in training them with the right skills is paying off. With that talent coming on stream and with reduced attrition, we were able to recalibrate our gross additions, keeping it below the departures during the quarter, driving up productivity and enhancing project outcomes.”
Q2 Segment Highlights**
Industries: Growth was led by the Energy, Resources and Utilities vertical which grew 14.8%, Manufacturing which grew 5.8% and Life Sciences and Healthcare which grew 5%. The Consumer Business Group (CBG) grew 1%, BFSI grew -0.5%, Communications & Media grew -2.1% and Technology & Services grew -2.2%.
Markets: Among major markets, the United Kingdom led with 10.7% growth; North America grew 0.1% and Continental Europe grew 1.3%. In emerging markets, Middle East & Africa grew 15.9%, Latin America grew 13.1%, Asia Pacific grew 4.1% and India grew 3.9%.
Services: Clients continue to prioritize business agility and cost optimization initiatives even while exploring innovative uses of Gen AI. Clients also focused on operating model transformation, vendor consolidation and Enterprise IT as a Service. Among service lines, AI.Cloud, TCS Interactive and IoT and Digital Engineering led growth. TCS has over 250 Gen AI opportunities in the pipeline, driven by a rich catalog of use cases across industries, early adoption partnerships with hyperscalers and a 100,000-strong GenAI-ready workforce.
- AI.Cloud: Launched in Q2, this unit brings together TCS’ three hyperscaler-dedicated cloud units and specialists in data sciences and AI/ML. Cloud Migration, composite data foundation, application modernization, workplace transformation and edge to cloud, coupled with AI adoption frameworks continued to drive growth in Q2. TCS’ investments in deepening competencies and building new capabilities continue to yield good results. TCS is a launch partner for hyperscalers in multiple new technology launches, including Generative AI. TCS’ catalog of GenAI use cases continues to expand across all industry segments.
- TCS Interactive: Digital interactive services continued to see strong growth driven by clients’ investments in experience-led transformation initiatives, and marketing effectiveness. There was increased demand in areas such as product design, marketing operations and customer and marketing data-driven insights. Additionally, there was significant experimentation with GenAI-enabled customer experience.
- IoT & Digital Engineering: Growth in Q2 was driven by demand for TCS’ solutions in industrial IoT & AI, factory of the future, carbon footprint management and software defined vehicles. In competitive assessments published during the quarter, TCS was ranked the #1 Engineering services Provider of the year 2023, and the foremost leader in the Digital Twin services PEAK Matrix® assessment 2023 by Everest Group.
- Cyber Security: Clients are focusing on uplifting Security Controls, Security Operations transformation, Automation enabled threat detection and Cloud Security. TCS’ Identity and Access Management (IAM), attack surface management and cloud security offerings have gained traction across markets.
- Enterprise Solutions: With changing business models and M&A, clients continue to invest in their digital core by modernizing their ERP, leveraging TCS Crystallus™ to accelerate time to market, AI and Low Code BPM tools for automating business processes. Sustainability and adoption of customer centric business models are driving investments across enterprise applications and customer engagement platforms.
- Cognitive Business Operations: Growth in Q2 was led by business process services, TCS Cognix™ powered operating model transformation, vendor consolidation and integrated business and IT transformation. In Q2, TCS also partnered with several clients in transformative areas such as strategic market intelligence and supplier insights (Supply Chain), E2E HR Transformation, advanced Financial Planning and Analytics (F&A) and ‘Enterprise IT as a Service’. We continue to scale investments in AI, ‘Sustainability as a Service’, and global partnerships.
** Year on Year Growth in Constant Currency terms
 Formerly reported under Regional Markets and Others
 Includes Retail, CPG & TTH
- BSNL has selected TCS to roll out a modern 4G and 5G mobile communication infrastructure across India covering 100K telecom sites. The project involves supply, planning, design, installation and commissioning, and optimization of this mobile network, satisfying a detailed set of requirements conforming to 3GPP standards. The solution caters to needs such as trusted source of components and equipment, advanced RF planning, intelligence on the edge to support cognitive network operations, software-driven radios and reconfigurations et al. This is part of the Government of India’s efforts to build indigenous telecom technology and local manufacturing of the telecom gear. TCS and its partners have integrated the EPC Core, RAN and NMS and have started the roll-out of the network which is expected to be completed in stages over the next 18 months.
- JLR, a large UK based multinational automobile company has expanded its strategic partnership with TCS to accelerate digital transformation across its business. As a part of this deal, TCS will deliver a broad range of services spanning application development & maintenance, enterprise infrastructure management, cloud migration, cybersecurity, and data services. TCS will help JLR transform to a leaner and scalable operating model with a future-ready digital core, by leveraging new technologies to transform IT operations and adopting new ways of working.
- Selected by Athora Netherlands, a Dutch life insurance and pensions provider, to transform their closed book life business. TCS will build a future proof hybrid cloud, based on TCS Enterprise Cloud Platform. From contact center to policy administration, TCS will take end-to-end ownership through the life of the policy and provide complete business application and business process services support. TCS will provide enhanced operational efficiencies and improve customer experience through this transformation.
- Partnered with GE Healthcare’s Global IT function for digital transformation of global IT function. TCS will manage the development, maintenance, rationalization, and standardization of its enterprise IT applications. Further, TCS will leverage advanced software engineering practices, combined with artificial intelligence and digital technologies to drive faster time to value realization, operational resilience, and productivity This transformation will enable GE HealthCare to build a strong foundation for business growth and advance innovation, bringing intelligent care solutions to over one billion patients across more than 160 countries.
- ASDA signed a multi-year partnership with TCS in a divestiture and digital transformation deal. The program will support ASDA’s digital transformation and help implement a new organisation-wide IT operating model, following its divestiture from Walmart. The strategic partnership will leverage TCS’ cloud, AI, and security solutions to help ASDA deliver the divestiture smoothly, on-time and securely. TCS will further enable ASDA to enhance its customer experience and innovation capabilities to help increase their market share and retain price leadership.
- A large global bank based in UK extended the strategic partnership with TCS and signed a 5-year engagement to transform their run services in application and infrastructure through engineering led operating model transformation by cross leveraging industry best practices, innovation and applying emerging AI principles.
- A US-based healthcare and insurance company has selected TCS as its technology partner for transforming to a modern and resilient clinical platform. TCS will provide cloud-based application development, data platform modernization and data analytics leveraging its strength in Microsoft Azure technologies. The next generation platform will enable value-based care, increase affordability and outcomes, improve care coordination, and create integrated and connected experiences.
- Selected by a leading electricity distributor in APAC to deploy a secure, enterprise Generative AI Platform on Azure to respond to user queries on health and safety relating to electrical equipment.
- Partnered with a leading financial services group in APAC for enterprise adoption of Generative AI for improving efficiency in business functions. TCS will deploy a Generative AI playground on Azure in a secure manner to enable employees to discover powerful industry use-cases.
- Selected as a strategic partner by the Government of India to transform the Government e-Marketplace (GeM) platform. The opportunity involves management and transformation of GeM into a world-class platform. The project will enable growth and scale, improve inclusivity for MSME enterprises, enhance data analytics for improved supply-chain operations and provide enriched user experience through innovation and domain expertise of TCS. With the new platform, the government is envisioning to grow annual GMV manifold from the FY23 value of Rs 2 trillion.
- A global semiconductor manufacturer partnered with TCS to open an innovation center to build semiconductor designs and software solutions for the IoT, digital engineering covering infrastructure, industrial, and automotive segments.
- Selected by a leading US sporting goods retailer as a strategic partner to leverage its industry expertise, products and accelerators to help drive customer’s strategic initiatives, enhance cloud adoption and automation, transform its operating model to improve customer experience and optimize IT spend.
- Chosen by a global medical device solutions company as their strategic and trusted partner for complete end-to-end IT services over a multi-year agreement. The partnership covers leveraging TCS Cloud Exponence to help reduce cloud management overheads; deliver an enhanced employee experience through plug-and-play digital solutions and help build a talent destination culture across IT and R&D functions while emphasizing on a business value creation approach to delivery
- Selected by the Georgia Department of Labor to replace its 1980s-era legacy platform with a proven, agile, secure, and scalable cloud-based unemployment insurance system that streamlines and speeds up the claims process, improves citizen experience and helps prevent fraud.
- Selected by the British Council, the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations, to transform its professional services function that includes Finance, Procurement, Human Resources and Digital & Technology. TCS will leverage its contextual knowledge, deep domain expertise and proprietary platforms to help develop more innovative and user-friendly services. The partnership will also enable the British Council to focus on improving the quality and efficiency of services, ultimately leading to an enhanced customer experience.
- TCS has been selected as a strategic partner by Culina, one of UK’s leading integrated supply chain management service-provider. As part of the deal, TCS will establish a centralised, simplified and next-gen IT platform to drive strategic business initiatives, enhance the end-user experience, establish a cloud-first operating model, and build resilient cybersecurity operations. TCS will leverage the TCS Cognix™ framework and TCS MFDM™ offerings to accelerate the customer’s growth plans.